Saturday, February 22, 2014

Finally Back

When I started this blog I intended to post every couple days.  That worked for, oh, about 4 days.  Then I got busy with classes at Michael's, getting ready to go to a Women's Conference, helping prepare for a Daytona 500 party, and doing research for a truck project, basically with life.  At one point I wrote an entry on my tablet; got it done and it disappeared; poof, like it never existed.  Not quite friends with that tablet yet. :)  OK enough excuses and sad tech stories; back to jewelry focus.

The last class I taught was wire crochet.  When I first thought about crocheting with wire I thought it would be awkward and unattractive; but Michael's was introducing classes so I needed to give it a shot.  For my first attempt I used a small steel hook (probably a 12 or 13).  I used colored wire, added seed beads for some sparkle; and created what was suppose to turn into a rainbow necklace.  Well it didn't take long to realize this was not going to be easy.  Working wire with a small hook was difficult at best.  I still have 6 pieces (almost a full rainbow) about 1 x 1.5 inches each.  I have yet to decide how to assemble them and there will be no more to go with them.  I obviously needed to take another run at this technique.  This time I used a larger hook, made looser stitches, enjoyed the process a lot more, and the cuff bracelet that resulted has received many complements.  For a beginner class we made multiple strands of single crochet embellished with beads, braided them together, and added finishing touches; very simple.  Add a pendant for extra impact, make a shorter version for a matching bracelet; you can have a complete set in a couple hours.  Below are some examples.  See what you can get when you think outside the box, or for me; when someone pushes you out of the box.

My first bracelet
Student Valentine Bracelet
Add a focal pendant
Multi-color wire and beads
Simple silver and purple


1 comment:

  1. Hi Jana,
    I am so excited !!
    I am your BSBP partner, my blog is http://jewelrybyjasvanti.blogspot.com/,
    My e-mail is jpatel@gwc.cccd.edu.
    I hope you contact me soon,
    Jasvanti Patel

    ReplyDelete